Operates heavy construction equipment and performs minor maintenance on such equipment in the performance of skilled field construction, maintenance and repair activities; performs maintenance crew duties as required.
• Operates a variety of heavy construction equipment such as motor graders, backhoes, scrapers, pavers, cranes and related equipment to cut road rough and finish road grades, make excavations, move earth, clear and construct drainage ditches, excavate trenches, load materials and perform similar work.
• Drives, hauls and transports heavy equipment to job sites.
• Performs an operational and safety check of the equipment before use; checks fuel and fluid levels, air pressures, hydraulic systems and lubrication points; performs lubrication of essential parts. Performs minor adjustments and preventive maintenance and reports the need for major maintenance or repair.
• Checks job sites for potential hazards; ensures that appropriate traffic control and warning devices are properly placed and safety equipment is worn.
• Secures equipment upon completion of the work.
• Maintains basic logs and records related to work performed.
• Uses a variety of hand and power tools related to the work.
• Observes safe work methods and uses safety equipment.
• Maintains basic records of work performed.
• Contributes to the overall quality of the unit’s service provision by developing and coordinating work teams and by reviewing, recommending and implementing improved policies and procedures.
• Represents the Pueblo with dignity, integrity, and a spirit of cooperation in all relationships with staff and the public.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and Experience: High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED); AND two (2) years of experience in road maintenance/construction.
Capabilities, operational characteristics, adjustment and preventive maintenance of the types of equipment to which assigned.
Capabilities, operational characteristics, adjustment and preventive maintenance of a variety of trucks and related equipment.
Roads maintenance and repair methods and techniques.
Use and maintenance of hand and power tools related to the work.
Traffic laws and ordinances applicable to equipment operation.
Safety principles, practices and equipment related to the work.
Basic record keeping practices.
Techniques for dealing with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, in person and over the telephone.
Operating a variety of construction equipment skillfully and safely.
Driving a variety of trucks skillfully and safely.
Adjusting and performing preventive maintenance on the equipment to which assigned.
Recognizing potentially hazardous situations on the job site and taking appropriate action.
Safely using and maintaining hand and power tools related to the work.
Reading and understanding a variety of plans and maps.
Maintaining accurate records of work performed.
Contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives and activities.
Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work.
Required Certificates, Licenses, And Registrations:
• Valid New Mexico Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).