Assists other forest workers in forestry, wildfire prevention and cultural site protection efforts.
• Cuts and fells trees in accordance with industry standards; cuts limbs; stacks slash and debris.
• Performs forestry labor activities such as creating erosion control barriers, reforestation, cone collection, fence repair/construction.
• Assists in wildfire suppression duties as required.
• Observes safe work methods and uses safety equipment.
• Maintains basic records of work performed.
• Contributes to the overall quality of the unit’s service provision by developing and coordinating work teams and by reviewing, recommending and implementing improved policies and procedures.
• Represents the Pueblo with dignity, integrity, and a spirit of cooperation in all relationships with staff and the public.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and Experience: High School diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED).
Required Knowledge and Skills
Tree cutting techniques and practices.
Use and maintenance of hand and power tools.
Safe work methods and safety regulations pertaining to the work.
Techniques for dealing with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, in person and over the telephone.
Forest fire suppression principles and practices.
Safely using and maintaining hand and power tools related to the work.
Safely operating motor vehicles.
Reading and interpreting standard plans, maps and instructions.
Performing fire suppression duties.
Understanding and following oral and written directions.
Preparing basic records and reports of work performed.
Contributing effectively to the accomplishment of team or work unit goals, objectives and activities.
Cutting trees and other related vegetation.
Required certificates, licenses and registrations:
• Valid New Mexico Driver’s License.
• CPR and First Aid certification within (60) days of hire.
• Chainsaw certification within one (1) year of date of employment.
• ATV Operator certification within one (1) year of date of employment.
• Firefighter Type 2 certification within one (1) year of date of employment.